CAT is considered to be one of the toughest exams for MBA on the planet.It is also the only gateway to the prestigious IIMs for an Indian resident (NRIs can use GMAT scores).The hype,extremely tight cut-offs and the uncertainity makes a lot of students not take up CAT.They prefer other institutes’ entrance exams,like SNAP,NMAT,XAT. However,IMHO,CAT 2011 is an exam you must take.Here is why I say so:
- The number of IIMs has been increased to 13. By January,you will know the exact placement scenario at the new IIMs. More IIMs means better chances of getting a call.
- FMS will accept CAT scores for admission this year.This is,as we know,the number 1 MBA institute in our country.
- JMET, the exam that provides admissions to the SOMs (School of Management) at the IITs and also IISc will also accept CAT scores for admission from this year.
- CAT scores are accepted by a large number of other institutes from across the country.The ones around Mumbai and Pune are :
|S. P. Jain Institute of Management & ResearchMunshi Nagar, Dadabhai RoadAndheri (West), Mumbai-400 058MaharashtraPhone : 022-26237454 / 61460299Fax : 022-6237042Website : http://www.spjimr.org||Welingkar Institute of Management Development & ResearchLakhamsi Napoo Road, Next to R. A. Podar CollegeNear Matunga Central Rly. Station, MatungaMumbai-400 019, MaharashtraPhone : 022-24178300Fax : 022-24178300Website : http://www.welingkar.orgs|
| K J Somaiya Institute of Management Studies & Research
Vidyanagar, Vidyavihar (E)
Phone : 022-67283000
Fax : 022-25157219
Website : http://www.simsr.somaiya.edu
|Vivekananda Education Society’s Institute ofManagement Studies and Research495-497, Near Municipal SchoolCollector’ Colony, Chembur,Mumbai-400 074MaharashtraPhone : 022-2553 1396 / 2553 1396Fax : 2553 8111Website : http://www.vesimsr.org|
|Balaji Institute of Management and HRD (BIMHRD)S.No.55/2-7, TathawadeNr. Wakad, Off Mumbai-Bangalore BypassPune-411 033MaharashtraPhone : 020-66741192/ 66741490/82/93Fax : 020-66741487Website : http://www.bimhrdpune.com||MIT School of Telecom ManagementS-2 Block, Ground FloorMIT College Campus, Paud Road, KothrudPune-411 038MaharashtraPhone : 020-25452585 / 09922961198Fax : 020-25452585Website : http://www.mitsot.com|
|Institute for Technology and Management, ITMITM Campus, Plot No. 25 & 26Sector 4, Kharghar Institutional AreaKharghar (E)Navi Mumbai-410 210MaharashtraPhone : 022-27742798, 09321412008, 022-61294000Fax : 022-27740950 / 27814752Website : http://www.itm.edu|
Besides,a complete list of colleges that take CAT Scores can be found here.
- CAT has changed its pattern.Instead of 3 sections,it now has only 2 sections.Quant and DI as one section. Verbal Ability and Reasoning in the other. Each section has a duration of 70 mins and will be in the above order.Experts believe the new format is student-friendly ,since they only need to concentrate on the questions and not the strategy to attempt them.
- If you have had good 10th,12th (80% and above) and graduation scores ,the chances of you getting a call is high,even with a 97%ile.
- If you have a good work experience of around 12-24 months,your chances of getting a call increases.
- Now,with so many colleges taking CAT Scores,those 90%ile and above are gonna be very valuable,in my opinion. This makes the INR.1600/- for the form, a very smart investment.
- Also, if you are an CAT 2012 aspirant,you must definitely try this year’s CAT to see where you can improvise next year.You will have an upper hand,having tested this new format and the proceedings.
So do not wait.The registration is open till 26th September only.Hurry.For details on “How to get the Form”, elligibility criteria,etc , visit CATIIM.IN
Q. 60 days to the last day CAT. can be taken.My chances are negligible!
A. No.Just one hour a day.Stick to reading basics of Maths,English and practicing calculations. You can do pretty decent.
Lastly, If you are an MBA aspirant, go take CAT! Irrespective of whether you consider yourself IIM material or not. Remember! The essence of management is to go beyond your limits to achieve what once looked impossible!
“Its better to fail trying than trying to fail” – Unknown