I have grown up in the era, whent the society migrated from Chitrahaar to Philips Top -10. From the Indian music to the fusion of Indo-Pop music.
Baba Sehgal’s Aaja Meri Gaadi Main Baith Ja, Alisha’s Made In India, etc where it all started for me. Foot-tapping music with lyrics that had a tinge of the West and that could connect instantly with the hope and aspirations of an emerging,young India.
There are so many tracks,albums,artists I can talk about. A few of them are :
1) Usha Utthup’s Hari Om Hari(I remember the spoof – Hari Om Hari,Sridevi Mari :D)
2) Daler Mehndi’s Tunak Tunak tun (Remember dancing to it in Std.6).Also, the video is worth a rewatch. :D.
Also,Bolo Tara Ra Ra – The Marriage Band’s favourite.
3) Soul reaping music by the Colonial Brothers
4) Euphoria’s brilliant romantic music. “Tum Ho Meri Main Tumhara”, “Kaise Bhulegi mera Naam”, “Kabhi aana tu meri gali” and Offcourse, “Maaeri”.
I remember my elder brother pointing out to parents. “He is a doctor and makes music. I can do that too” (And so he did).
5) There was Shubha Mudgal’s Abke Sawaan. Perfect fusion.
6) Oh,and how can I forget a zorbing ball Adnan Sami, rocking the nation with his classic Lift Karadey. Followed by some really sweet romantic and fun songs.The one with Sr. Bachchan.And the World Cup song, “Aaaye O… Aye O Aaa”
7) Falguni Pathak’s amzing girlie love numbers. “Maine Paayal Hai Chhankayi”. At school,we did a small performace of this song for Annual day.Remember being an infinitesimally small part of it.
8) Lucky Ali’s hypotic voice really shook my soul with “Gori teri aankhein”.
9) Aghosh’s “Mil jo jaaye thoda paisa”. A beautiful comment on life in a struggling,growing India.
10) Band of Boys – “Tu hi mera Pyaar Gori”. Amazing Song
11) Aryans – “Ankhon mein tera hi chehra”, “Dekha hai teri ankhon mein”. Sigh!
12) “Chui Mui Si tum lagti ho”. Sweetest song. Dad used to listen to it every morning.
12) And then, the remix gen songs. “Mere Naseeb Mein”, “Bheegi Beegi Raaton Mein”, “Kehdoon Tumhein”. I studied my 9th and 10th listening to these over FM.So,so fresh!
13) Rageshwari – “Kahin karta hoga,woh mera…..”. She was a heartthrob once.
14) Bombay Vikings – “Chhod Do Aanchal”, “Woh Chali”.
15) Babul Supriyo – “Sochta Hoon uska dil…” …. Grew up listening to this song and feeling.My school bestie’s then favorite song.
16) Shan’s “Tanha Dil” and “Bhool Jaa” are amongst my all time favourites.
17) Bombay Rockers,Zeus,Juggy d,Jay Sean,Veronica,Raghav Mathur gave me my junior college playlist.
18) Alka Yagnik’s “Dil tha yahaan abhi abhi” and Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan Sahab’s some magical numbers.
And the list could go on and on and on….
But where is Indi-pop now? Disappeared? Died? Why? :O
P.S. – Don’t know if Kailash Kher and Kailasa’s music can be included into Indi-pop. They are just too divine for that.